The areas around your nose and mouth can really show your age. Every year as your body ages, it produces less collagen and elastin. Making these lines become more prominent and noticeable. For many people, this leads to feeling self-conscious around others and thinking that they notice these fine lines as well. We all want to be the best version of ourselves, so why not give Restylane a chance? At SKIN Medical Spa in San Francisco, CA, Restylane is one of our favorite dermal fillers to visibly correct these lines. When you get your Restylane treatment done, you will look and feel your absolute best.
What is Restylane®?
Restylane is designated a “naturally derived” filler. This is because Restylane is mainly compromised of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance in the human body. Hyaluronic acid is responsible for hydrating, plumping, and smoothing the skin to make wrinkles less noticeable. Other fillers such as Radiesse are known as synthetic fillers.
Hyaluronic Acid Benefits
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the body. Over half of the hyaluronic acid in your body is found in the skin. Its job is to hydrate, plump, and firm the skin. It does this by binding with nearby water molecules. Because hyaluronic acid plumps the skin it is perfect for use in dermal fillers, such as Restylane® and Juvederm®.
Who Is A Candidate For Restylane?
As Restylane involves the use of injections, almost every person is a candidate for the treatment. Restylane contains no animal products. Therefore, patients do not need any allergy testing prior to injections, which can sometimes take weeks to complete. Restylane injections can be done in office, by Dr. Colvin, in less than half an hour and almost no downtime is necessary.
As always my experience at Skin Medical Spa was perfect. It always exceeds my expectations. I leave feeling better with an uplifted mood and a bounce in my step! It has to do with a wonderful staff who know the skin’s preventive health care and remediation: Sara, the receptionist, is always a step ahead and gives fabulous tips and of course Dr. Rob who is so knowledgeable, personable, attentive and caring. He is so fabulous I would not go anywhere else for my cosmetic and preventive, age-defying care! -MJ
Types Of Restylane
Originally, Restylane® was a single filler. Over the years, an entire family of Restylane® fillers has been developed, each targeted to a specific area of the face. At SKIN Medical Spa, we offer the entire Restylane® line. Each filler is intended for a different area of the face. Here are the descriptions of each Restylane® product, what types of wrinkles they target, and how long you can expect them to last.
- Restylane® — This was the flagship product, the first dermal filler. It remains very popular around the world. It targets marionette lines, nasolabial folds, and other wrinkles by adding volume beneath the wrinkle or crease and pushing the surface skin upward. Its results last from 6-9 months.
- Restylane® Silk — Restylane® Silk is FDA approved specifically for the lips. It is used for subtle lip enhancement and for the correction of vertical lip lines. It provides results for around six months.
- Restylane® Lyft — Restylane® Lyft adds volume to the cheeks and corrects smile lines. Lyft also can be used to replace volume loss on the hands. Results last from one year to 18 months.
- Restylane® Refyne — Restylane® Refyne was approved by the FDA in December 2016. This addition to the Restylane® line (along with Defyne, see below) is used to correct marionette lines and nasolabial folds. Refyne is specifically formulated to treat mild to moderate lines and wrinkles. Galderma has cross-linked the gel in Restylane® Refyne and Defyne to help support the patient’s natural expressions — for real-life results that help maintain natural movement when smiling, frowning, or otherwise moving your mouth.
- Restylane® Defyne – Approved along with Refyne, Defyne also specifically targets nasolabial folds and marionette lines. The difference is that Defyne is designed for use on moderate to severe creases and lines. Both Refyne and Defyne provide results that last up to one year.
Benefits of Restylane Injections
A benefit of using Restylane is that it is formulated to act like your body’s own naturally produced hyaluronic acid. It’s simply taking over where your body is lacking. You may wonder why this is necessary. As we age, our bodies produce one percentage point less collagen each year after our 20th birthday. Since collagen provides the skin’s underlying support structure, this decrease leads to sagging skin and the formation of lines and wrinkles. By binding with water molecules at the injection sites, Restylane firms and plumps the skin, pushing up lines and creases, making them far less noticeable and taking years off your face.
Restylane Treatment Areas
Restylane specializes is addressing creases and lines surrounding the nose and mouth. Since Restylane has a smooth consistency, it can spread a bit once injected to widen the treatment areas. Restylane can address any area of the face that has folds, creases, and has lines which specifically includes:
- Nasolabial folds: These are the lines that run from the nose down to the mouth.
- Marionette lines: These lines, named for the mouth movements in marionettes, run from the corners of your mouth down toward the chin.
- Lips: Restylane can also enhance and add plumpness and volume to the lips.
- Glabellar lines: the short vertical lines between the eyebrows that run up towards the middle of the forehead.
How long does Restylane last?
In the descriptions of each of the Restylane® fillers above, we also describe their expected duration. Restylane® Silk is the shortest duration, adding lip volume for about six months. Lyft is the longest lasting filler in the line, adding volume to the cheeks for up to 18 months.
Which Restylane filler is right for my needs?
Each Restylane® product is designed for a different area of the face. If you want to add volume to your lips, Restylane® Silk is the choice. If you want to return volume to sunken cheeks, it’s Restylane Lyft. Dr. Colvin, as one of the Bay Area’s most experienced injectors, has extensive experience with all of the Restylane® fillers. Once you tell him the areas you seek to address, he can match the right Restylane® product with your needs.
How much Restylane will I need?
Restylane®, like all injectables, is priced by the syringe. It’s impossible to know how much you will need until we understand your target areas and goals. For instance, returning volume to the cheeks with Lyft will likely require more filler than will plumping the lips with Silk.
What can I expect during my Restylane session?
An injection session with Restylane® takes just 15-20 minutes. Because Restylane® has a small amount of Lidocaine in its formulation, patients generally find that the injections are not painful. If you prefer, however, we can apply topical numbing anesthetic prior to your injections. This takes about 30 minutes to take effect, so it adds some time to your appointment. As soon as your injections are finished, you can get right back to your normal activities.
What is the difference between Restylane and Juvederm?
These two fillers are very similar, but they are made by different companies. Different doctors have different reasons for liking one over the other, but the reality is they are very similar. Both are hyaluronic/natural fillers. Both have other extensions in their branded lines.
There are some subtle differences, however:
- Restylane® is a little more cohesive, while Juvederm® is a little smoother. This makes Juvederm® spread out a little more, and makes Restylane® a better choice for areas where it needs to stay right where injected, such as under-eye hollows.
- Because it is more cohesive, Restylane® can form lumps, but these can be worked out immediately.
- Restylane® is offered in two syringe sizes, 0.4cc and 1.0cc, while Juvederm® is only offered in 1.0cc syringes, so Restylane® can be purchased in smaller amounts if needed.
- Juvederm® tends to last longer than Restylane®, 9-12 months versus 6-9 for Restylane®.
Are There Side Effects from Restylane?
The most commonly observed side effects are swelling, redness, pain, bruising, headaches, tenderness, and itching at the injection sites. These are typically mild in severity and usually resolve themselves in seven to fourteen days. If you’re allergic to lidocaine you cannot use Restylane, as it has some lidocaine in the product to keep the patient comfortable. Occasionally, lumps or granulomas can form near the injection sites. Dr. Colvin can easily reverse this side effect with an injection of hyaluronidase, an enzyme that speeds up the natural degradation of the hyaluronic acid in the filler.
As with all fillers, the expertise of your injector is important to achieve the best results and avoid side effects. Dr. Colvin has received special training in the use of various fillers, including Restylane. In fact, he is a national trainer for two companies that produce dermal fillers.
Restylane Refyne & Other Dermal Fillers
SKIN Medical Spa offers additional products from the Restylane line of fillers. This includes Restylane Refyne and Defyne which are hyaluronic acid dermal fillers that help soften nasolabial folds and marionette lines. These fillers can help you restore a more natural look to your face while maintaining your facial expressions. In addition, we offer Restylane Lyft which is FDA approved for cheek augmentation and the correction of age-related midface contour deficiencies. We also offer a new sister product, Restylane Silk. This filler adds definition to the lips and can remove vertical age lines on the lips.
Schedule A Consultation
*Note that each individual is unique, during your consultation at SKIN Medical Spa we will help you determine the best procedure to obtain your desired results.